Sunday, May 10, 2009

My First Mother's Day!


My beautiful flowers from Mackenzie!

Today was my first Mother's Day and I had a wonderful time. I made the decision that I was going to do my best to make the most of the day and I think we did just that. It started at about 6am when Mackenzie started crying, and I thought "Oh No!" But she eventually went back to sleep and we got to sleep in until 8am!! I knew we were going to have a good day!
We got dressed up nice and had a really nice day. When Mackenzie went down for her morning nap I made myself a nice brunch and got a really nice surprise when I discovered flowers at my front door from Mackenzie! Yesterday I got some flowers from John and thought that these were it. Tuesday is our anniversary so the ones yesterday were for that. I got a little card with the flowers from Mackenzie and it just totally made my day!

Mackenzie posing with my flowers...she has great taste!

After talking with John today we decided that we were going to start Mackenzie on food in a hope that it would settle her more at night, so today was her official first day of eating big girl food. We had to go out and buy some bowls and spoons and some cereal too! It took me forever to decide what one to get her, but in the end I walked away with two different boxes just in case she didn't like one! After that we came home and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It's a really good movie...the make up they did on Brad Pitt is amazing, and the story is real sweet. Unfortunately the movie went on for almost three hours so that put me way behind in my organization of the first meal!


Our dressed up shot!

Eating like a big girl!

We got through it, but it was a bit of a comedy of errors. It started with my having to wash everything, then I had to pump some breast milk which I have never done before! By this time Mackenzie wants to eat so she starts getting upset! I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't think expressing the milk would be such a slow process. At one point I stop and feed Mackenzie because I thought this whole pumping thing wasn't going anywhere. After we had both relaxed a little I pumped what I thought was enough milk and I got the cereal ready.
John wanted me to try and get her first feeding on film so I'm trying to get the camera and the camcorder set up, all the while Mackenzie is rather upset! I try to put her in her bouncer because we haven't got a high chair yet and she's fine! I turn the camera on and start rolling, pick up the spoon and she starts screaming!! So as you can imagine I have to stop recording as I don't want her first feeding to be too traumatizing!! I pick her up and settled her and now the only way she'll eat is if I hold her. I'm rather proud of myself because she ate great and I was able to get photos and film of her first meal!! She really did eat well and ate the entire bowl.

A one handed action shot....I am rather proud of myself! :)


An empty bowl!

So far so good. She went to sleep without any fuss and she's still sleeping, so I'm hoping that this was what she's been trying to tell me for the last few weeks! Fingers crossed it stays this way and we will both be happy!
Enjoy your week!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I never worried about pumping milk to go in the cereal. We just use cooled boiled water the first few times, then mixed the cereal with pureed fruit after that. Child number 3 and i am a bit slack with all the boiling, washing and sterilising!!