Friday, January 1, 2010

First Steps, Temper Tantrums and Words!!


Mackenzie sitting on the bench at the zoo last week!

The final week of 2009 has been an interesting one for us! Mackenzie seems to be making that transition into becoming a toddler before my eyes and I don't know if I'm ready for it! This week I've seen her take her first steps, throw a huge tantrum and come out with a few new words! It's all bittersweet as this whole year has been because as exciting as it is, it's sad that John has missed out on it all.
On Monday Mackenzie's teacher approached me and said "Guess who has taken some steps?" It was exciting news, but at the same time sad because I missed seeing her take her first steps. As a teacher myself I personally make sure the parents have seen it first so as not to disappoint them in missing out on seeing something for the first time, but as you may have picked up from previous posts me and her teacher don't always get along! She was able to get Mackenzie to do it again so I could see and we have practiced at home. She takes a couple of steps with a lot of prompting and encouragement, but she is not at the stage yet where she is using her own initiative and taking steps on her own.

This is my new favourite photo!!

Monday as saw Mackenzie throw the mother of all tantrums!! I am trying to wean her from being breastfed which is proving to be next to impossible. I have how ever managed to get it down to where she only feeds at night. (any tips in this area are appreciated!) Well on Monday when we got home she wanted a drink and I refused. Normally I distract her and she gets over it, but that day for some reason she just wanted what she wanted. So I quickly got dinner ready while she screamed in my arms, then went to put her into her highchair and had yet another battle on my hands! After a short fight I was able to click her in and I put her meal in front of her. Because she was already pissed off I gave her foods that I know she likes so as not to upset her even more. She had chicken nuggets, cheese, peas and corn and peaches. She settled down and began to eat and I went about trying to get myself something to eat. I realised that I didn't put her bib on her and went back to do that....big mistake! She went off again! She was screaming and trying to get out of the chair. She threw her cup down, then picked up her plate and threw it, all the while looking at me and screaming! I told her that we don't throw our food and proceeded to pick it up and try and put it back on her tray. She then picked up her chicken nuggets and all the while looking at me ripped them up in her hands and threw them! I was a little taken aback by this and with her getting louder and more upset I gave in and took her down and fed her...what else could I do!? After that I knew that she has me wrapped around her little finger. I don't take this crap from the kids I look after, but I somehow can't control my own child. Where did I go wrong!?
After she had managed to get her own way she settled down and began to play. It was then that I heard some new words...she says "there" "baby" and has also begun to sign "more". My baby is growing before my eyes! I guess I can't call her a baby any longer.
Today I also got another nice lesson in how much she is growing. We were reading one of her books called Little Possum Magic (thanks Amanda she loves it!) and when we got to the page with the snake on it she began to hiss like a snake and then when we got to the kangaroo she made a jumping motion. We have read this book a thousand times and every time I have made those sounds and actions. It just blew me away to have her repeat them! I work with this age group and know what to expect, but to see it in my own child is exciting!!

Enjoying a chocolate chip cookie...her new favourite food!

The remainder of our week has been quiet. Yesterday we hit the mall as we needed to get a few things. We saw 2010 in together three hours early when it turned midnight in New York (they are ahead of us) then Mackenzie went to sleep. She did however wake up at 11:59 so we were able to see the new year in together before she got her drink and drifted back off to sleep. Tomorrow we have a birthday party to go to and then it's back to work/school for our first full week in two weeks. Mackenzie is moving into my classroom on Monday so I am excited/dreading that. I'm hoping that it will only take a couple of weeks for her to settle in and realize that I have to also look after the other children. I am also hoping that she will continue to do the things at school that she refuses to do at home such as eat her food (she eats anything at school...at home not so much) and sleep in her own bed. She will also be going outside to play now and will start doing more arts and crafts. I am hoping to be able to get more photos of her at school now that I will be seeing more of her.
I hope you all had a nice New Years and that 2010 is good to you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She looks sooo cute in the sweater I got her. I'm glad it fits. I enjoyed reading about her tantrum and can only imagine how stressful that must have been. Keep staying strong with weaning her and everything else you are doing on your own. You are a great mother!!

Jess said...

Happy New Year Jodi! Wow you have had a big week. I have to admit that I lol'ed at your description of Mackenzie's tantrum. Sounds like a good one! I can imagine though it was not funny for you at all at the time. If it helps I think I may have the same problem with weaning Finn coming up soon.......... Love the pics of Mackenzie at the zoo, soooo cute! Jess xx