Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wet Week


All ready to go to school in the rain

This week has been a crazy one for us! San Diego rarely gets rain and this week I think we might of got a years worth in one week! We had storm after storm after storm! There was wind, hail (only sometimes), flooding, thunder and lightning! It was totally a week where I wish we could have just stayed at home! Unfortunately we didn't have that luxury so we braved the weather along with everyone else. I was most concerned about driving. I'm sure I've mentioned it enough times here that driving in San Diego is scary on a good day, and when it rains it's even worse. People don't seem to know how to slow down and they also seem to think that they are the only person on the road with somewhere to go. I just told myself to go as slow as I needed to and we were able to make our way safely every time we went out. I'm really glad to see the sun today however!

Finding her hand again!

Mackenzie is doing great at school and for the most part has settled into my class. There are occasions however when she just wants her mummy and she throws a tantrum, but we've become good at ignoring it or offering her cheese to calm her down. The other day she actually went back to her old classroom on her own and ended up staying there for lunch and a nap. I guess she doesn't need me as much as I think she does! She is now able to point to her nose, although some times she sticks her finger up her nose which isn't too attractive, and she has become quite the artist. She gets very upset with us if we try to take away whatever it is she might be using. She is also handling herself with the other children. Within the group we have between the two classroom there is probably a six to seven month age difference and she plays with the older kids and tries to boss them around as well! She's just growing so quickly!

A smile for school!

At home on the other hand it can be a little stressful. This week I've seen a lot of tantrums and everyone keeps telling me to ignore her and she'll get over it, but she seems to have a real stubborn streak in her so I think she might be winning those battles at the moment! She wants what she wants and I'm left wondering what I did wrong!? She is the fussiest eater ever and refuses to eat most regular food I put in front of her, which in turn leaves me offering her several options which I told myself I wouldn't do! Today for instance she ate very little breakfast, but tried to talk me into giving her a cookie. (she didn't get a cookie!) So what do I do? Do I continue to offer her the food, then give her the baby food when she won't eat, or do I give her the one option and if she doesn't eat it that's it?

At school last week in her Chargers outfit...we lost! =(

Hanging with her boyfriend Deuce!

Playing with her kitchen

I got to have a decent conversation with John last week for the first time since he left! I have spoken to him before that, but it's always been very short calls where we either get cut off or he runs out of credit for the phone. He's doing good and is still out to sea. I was beginning to look forward to the idea that he will be home soon, then I went on facebook yesterday and read that they have been extended to who knows when! The captain posted a note saying that because the navy has sent so many resources to help out in Haiti that there is no one to replace them, so now they have to wait out there. I don't even have the words to express how pissed off I am! (sorry Ruth) All these people were posting comments after the note saying go navy and all this other stuff and I wanted to write ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME!! I WANT MY HUSBAND HOME! Why should we have to sacrifice because the navy is spread too thin!?! So now who knows when he'll be home. Now he misses yet another Easter, another birthday, possibly another anniversary and who knows what else because we have no idea when they will be coming home. When I married him I knew that we would be spending time apart, but I never imagined it would be like this. I guess this is the life I chose for myself...please keep your fingers crossed for us that we find out soon when he'll be coming home!

"Anyone for a cup of tea?"

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Henry is a totally fussy eater too. The way I deal with it, is I plan out what his choices are for breakfast, lunch, dinner etc...and when he has eaten or refused to eat all of those choices, then the meal is over. Example, breakfast is a bowl of yoghurt, fruit and cereal all mixed up - when he starts refusing then the meal is done. Lunch will be a cheese/vegemite sandwich, grapes, watermelon, cheese, a couple of rice or corn crackers sometimes with spread on it and left over breakfast. When he starts throwing it all and refusing to eat it, the meal is over. You really have to believe the saying that a baby / child will not starve themselves. If they refuse for a day, a few days, a week eventually they will get hungry. They dont go on hunger strikes. The other thing that works with Henry, but makes a bit more mess, is to put the food (finger food) that I want him to eat in a bowl and put it on the floor or a low table, without him seeing me do it, then he discovers it and thinks he is so clever for finding food that he eats it all!!!!