Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Daddy's Here....and He's Gone Again....


Getting ready to drop Daddy off!

John finally came home on Thursday and we had just enough time to get used to having him around and he's gone again. I've held off attempting to write this in the hope that I can be a little calmer, but I'm still frustrated beyond belief! This is so unfair...and I'm so completely done with the Navy at the moment that this may become a little bit irate at times, so please forgive me if it does. I'll begin with the bad first so I can just get it out of the way and hopefully end the posting a little more pleasant.
I believe around Thursday John started playing phone tag with the warrant officer (his new boss) on his new ship. On Saturday he got a call and he was asked if he could come join the ship now for something called change over as he has to leave the ship. Of course he tells John that it's his decision, but what choice does John really have when it's a new duty station for him and he needs to be there for the next two years with the hope of promotion etc. He tells John that he will be joining the ship which is currently out off the coast and he will contact him to let him know when. Then on Sunday he gets a call and he's told that there will be a helicopter going to the ship on Monday and John needs to be on it.
This guy knows that John has just come home from a years deployment, that he has a infant daughter that he's barely seen and that he'll be gone again in September and basically doesn't really seem to care. So now John has to work till at least the 20th of July and hope that he can get time off before he leaves again. He should hopefully be back in port on Friday, but I'm not holding my breath on that. This was not the way I wanted to begin John's time on this ship. I thought we were just coming to the end of a bad deployment and it seems like we're headed for yet another one. I knew that John was going to be spending time away when I married him, but I never imagine it would be like this. I'm just so completely over living like this. I just want to be able to have some time with my husband.

Waiting for the fire works

Let me stop though...in the small time that he was home Mackenzie had Daddy wrapped around her little finger within the day. She was a little shy at first, but I think that was mainly because she was tired. John's flight ended up getting delayed by about an hour so it was around 8:35 before he got home. Mackenzie was tired and way out of routine, so she went to him, but was a little stand offish. The next day however she was smiling at him and enjoyed having someone else in the house to play with.
Daddy in all his tough talk about getting Mackenzie to sleep in her own bed is even weaker than me. The first time he heard her whimper she was out of the bed. There is now three in the bed!! Lucky for us we have a big bed!! Mackenzie is a little unsettled with him in the bed though as she is very used to being able to stretch out in the bed. Sunday night she spent a lot of time head butting John in his side in an attempt to move about! With Daddy gone again I'm back to trying to get her into her bed...at the moment she's sound asleep in there so Daddy needs to see that she actually can do it, she just doesn't want too!

Waiting for the fireworks

Saturday was Mackenzie's first Independence Day. She wore her red, white and blue and we took her to see the fireworks. We went to our usual spot on the base and timed it just right as there were a lot more people there than the previous year. I guess with the economy being the way it is a lot of the extra fireworks shows that are normally put on around the city were cancelled. Mackenzie stayed awake and wasn't too phased by the fireworks at all! I think she got to see some of them, but she was too busy looking around at everyone to really notice them. Going home was a total nightmare! It took us over an hour to get off the base. At first Mackenzie was screaming so we figured we would pull over, get her settled and wait for the traffic to lighten a little. We got her settled and got back on the road only to see that the traffic was still just as bad. In all their brilliance the Navy decided to shut off all the traffic lights, have no one to in turn direct traffic, and open no extra gates to get people out. Any holiday spirit people may have had was gone quickly after sitting in traffic that barely moved!! We eventually got home and headed straight to bed!

Mackenzie July 4th dress!


She's a real Daddy's girl

Smiling with Daddy!

John and his girls.

We also got to catch up with Dakota before she headed off to LA to hang out with her cousins. Mackenzie had a lot of fun being the center of attention!
So here we are again home alone. Mackenzie really doesn't know any different which I guess is a good thing. I would have hated her to be older and have to explain that he was going again after so few days. Today I had to take her along to my hair appointment, and thank goodness she behaved herself. She only got upset a little, and that was fixed with something to eat, which she proceeded to get all over her clothes. After that she drifted peacefully off to sleep! Since coming home we've watched the Michael Jackson memorial and then I enrolled in my classes for next semester. I have only enrolled in one class so that I don't get over whelmed with John being gone again and going back to work. I wanted to make sure however that I do something for school so that I don't let it fall by the way side. As much as I don't want to study anymore I do want to complete this degree.
Hopefully John will be back on Friday and hopefully he won't be going out to sea again. Hopefully we get to spend some time together as a family...keep your fingers crossed for us.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

sob I have tears in my eyes just reading this.....I would truly never be able to cope with a husband in the navy!

Unknown said...

I am sooo sorry to hear about John. I almost couldn't believe it when I read it. But then I remembered how "great" the Navy is about giving people their time off. If John doesn't come in give me a ring if you want to get out of the house.

Mackenzie looks like such a big girl in her 4th of July dress. She's sooo cute!!