Wednesday, July 15, 2009

32 Weeks


A family shot at Bondi

Mackenzie is 32 weeks old today...where does the time go? In 20 weeks she'll be a year old. I can't believe how fast time has gone. We had a really nice weekend. We picked up John on Friday and had him at home and off of work until Tuesday. He went back to work on Tuesday, but gets to come home at the end of each day so we really enjoy that. He will be heading back out to sea this coming Monday for I believe two weeks, then he should remain in port until they leave in September. As of yet I'm not sure when and if he is getting leave before he goes. I have given up stressing out over the Navy as there really is no point in taking it out on John. He can't do anything about it, and we don't have much time together to be spent pissed off at one another. I am still a little mad about the whole situation though because John had to give up his time off so his boss could go on vacation. (The word asshole comes to mind when I think about him....sorry about the language Ruth)
As for the deployment I don't believe anything is finalized just yet but at the moment the departure date is possibly September 17 or 18 and they will be going to the Persian Gulf. There is a possibility that the ship may pull into Perth, but apparently Australia asks for a lot of money to do that so they might not go. If the ship does go there we may look into Mackenzie and I going to Australia, but nothing is definite yet. Other places John may be going to are Guam, East Timor, Bahrain (there is no escaping that place for him) and Thailand.

Sitting up like a big girl

On Sunday we went to Bondi for a little taste of Australia. Unfortunately they had no pies or vegemite so I left feeling a little ripped off! I got to enjoy some good Aussie sausages though so in the end I left a happy girl! Mackenzie enjoyed looking around and trying to steal Daddy's beer. I got the classic Australian shots of baby with the beer bottle, and don't worry she drank no beer!! :)
This weekend was a little warm for us here. There is never much of a temperature increase here, so when it does get warm I feel it! You would never believe that I come from Darwin anymore...the idea of heat like that scares me! Mackenzie it appears is super sensitive to the temperature change because on Saturday she ended up breaking out in a bad heat rash. We weren't out for long, but I guess it was too much for her. I've spent most of this week at home in our little air conditioned bubble to keep her from breaking out again.

At Bondi

The shot I was wanting...

Mackenzie however had other ideas!!

Drinking from a bottle for the first time

So the great food dilemma continues with Mackenzie. One day she'll eat good, the next day I'm lucky if I get her to eat a quarter of a container. I think she is just too reliant on the breast. She knows that if she doesn't eat the food that I'm eventually going to feed her. It's been my goal all week to attempt to pump some milk to get her used to the bottle and I still haven't done it. I did pump some, but we didn't get around to giving it to her and too many days passed so I had to throw it away. I'm thinking now that maybe I'll just try the bottles with formula because if I can't pump now, how am I going to do it when I'm back at work? Is it bad of me to think like that? I've been breast feeding her for almost eight months...I kind of feel like I'm a bad Mum for considering formula.
As for sleeping...John is worse at it than I ever was! He doesn't want to hear her cry at all so we've been allowing her to fall asleep in our bed, then she is moved into her own bed, then she's back in our bed once she wakes up again. Today he came home and saw that Mackenzie is more than capable of falling to sleep in her own bed, so she went to sleep in her own bed tonight. She didn't cry too much, so everyone in the house is happy! Now if only we could get her to spend the entire night in her own bed.....

4 comments:

Jess said...

Jodi don't feel bad about giving her formula!! You've done 8 months already and that's fantastic! You can give her formula during the day while she's at daycare and still breastfeed first thing in the morning and last thing at night so you don't have to give up completely. I agree though that it would be a lot of stress for you to pump on top of everything else!
I mostly breastfeed Finn but he gets one bottle of formula in the evening so Mark can have a bit of bonding time with him and to be honest it also gives me a bit of a break. I do love breastfeeding though - I stressed about it so much at first and was tempted to give up many times but am really happy now that I stuck it out. In fact I will really miss it when it comes to an end.
Really - don't feel bad! You've given Mackenzie such a great start already. xxxx

Jess said...

Oops, I also meant to say have a lovely time with your husband! xx

Amanda said...

come to Perth...come to Perth....come to Perth...

Jamie went on to fomula at about 9 months old as I went back to work...it's fine Jodi...the first 6 months is the most important anyway.

Ika Bradshaw said...

Hi Jodi,

I love seeing all your photos and I have to say you look so happy in these ones. Nice to see you all together as a family...It must ahve been so nice having John home.
Everyone here says to say hello and that we miss and love you too.
Talk again soon, Love us xxxooo