Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bad Habits!


Mackenzie sleeping in what has become her bed!!

Well time is just flying and it's hard to believe that Mackenzie is 5 weeks already! Where did the time go? She's so much bigger now and has given us a few social smiles which totally made our day! I am yet to get one on camera though! We do seem to have come across a few problems though (hence my title) which I didn't anticipate happening so soon! Mackenzie fights her sleep! Her eyes will be hanging out of her head and she gets rather upset, but sometimes it takes a long time to get her to sleep. Then our next problem occurs. She will not sleep in her own bed! We will have her asleep finally and no sooner do we put her in the crib she begins to stir, then she's wide awake and eventually crying. We soon give up and place her in her favourite sleeping spot...in the middle of our bed! She then eventually moves over to me where she will sleep right at my side. Last night she was rather restless so she spent half the night hitting me! I'm already doing what I said I wouldn't do by letting her in our bed...any ideas out there on how to get her out?

Next week Mackenzie and I will be back on our own. John leaves on Monday and then Mum and Belynda leave on Wednesday. It is going to be strange to have an empty house again, but it will also be a great opportunity to get into a routine. We have been going out a lot, so it will be nice to have things get back to normal. Who knows, maybe Mackenzie will settle into a better sleeping pattern!?! I can only hope! I am enrolled in two on-line classes which begin on the 26th so it will be nice to have her on somewhat of a routine so I can get some study done.

So this weekend will be a quiet one for us. Everyone needs to start getting organized and packed up. On Sunday the Chargers will be playing and hopefully winning so we are looking forward to the game. It seems that ever since John came home they have won, so hopefully that tradition will continue. We would love to see them make it to the super bowl!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Jodi, you have to be tough and let her cry it out. Believe me I have been in your situation, with Jamie. My suggestions, wrap her tightly so she feels secure, put he in the cot awake, leave her there, if she is still crying in 5 minutes go back and give her a pat for a couple of minutes, tell her to sshhh, its sleep time,then leave her. Go back again in another 5 minutes, etc etc. Babies cry like this because they do not know how to go to sleep, not because they dont want to. If you can get her to fall asleep on her own, she will eventually sleep longer as when she stirs and wakes up she will know how to put herself back to sleep. Henry has been putting himself to sleep since 3 weeks old now, and is beginning to sleep longer as he wakes and then goes back again on his own. Its hard work, and you will feel very mean for letting her cry, but it will work. It took 3 weeks with Henry, but I have done this before, so knew that it would eventually work. Be brave!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi

Your Mackenzie is just BEAUTIFUL!! The sleeping thing....I had the exact same trouble with Zoe. I found that swaddling(don't know if thats how it's spelt) her in something that smelt like me - even one of her blankets with a bit of my smell helped so they feel safe. I also think that half of Zoe's problem was that she was passed around too much as a newborn. I think it made her too unsettled and she didnt know what the heck was going on, so hopefully when you are back by yourself it might fix itself. From the time Zoe was born to about 6 weeks old we had all different people staying with us so of course she was being passed around to all different people so I really do think it was very unsettling for her. She got out of it as soon as things settled down though. I have also heard a couple of other things that can help(I didn't end up trying them though)1. apparently you can get these little heartbeat things that you can put under their mattress so it sounds like your heartbeat and makes them feel safe and 2.the static from the radio on softly near them sounds like they are still in the womb. I think the last one is stupid though - what baby tells these people these things...hahahaha

Anyway I hope all gets better soon

Take care

Love leonie

Unknown said...

I actually have a present for you which might help with her sleeping. I hope to bring it to you when I come visit this week sometime after everyone has gone.

If you guys win you will be hosting the champtionship game. How crazy is that?? Good luck, but Go STEELERS!!!