Friday, December 31, 2010

Maegen's Arrival


Welcome to the world Maegen!!

Tuesday, December 21st ended up being a very busy, exciting day for us!! It all started around 6:30 when I was horribly woken up by Mackenzie falling out of our bed. (yes, she is still sleeping in our bed although no where near as much as before!) I got out of bed to quickly comfort her and make sure she hadn't done too much damage on the way down. She was ok, just upset and a little scared by being woken up like that. Once I knew she was fine and John was there I had to hand her over as I needed to pee real bad!! I went and used the bathroom, then as I was coming out I felt like I had peed myself. I told John what had happened then jumped into the shower to clean myself up.

A tired and slightly drugged Mummy and Maegen

Once I was showered and dressed again I went and got back to bed, only to start feeling some pain and the over whelming urge to pee yet again. This time when I went to the bathroom I noticed a little pink and came to the realization that this could be it!! I went out and told John who tried to remain calm, but got a little worried because there was nothing packed yet. I had been meaning to pack a bag now for a least a week, but in the frustration of her not coming and being totally over being pregnant I started to feel that packing a bag might just jinx me!! So we started the process of packing bags, getting all three of us dressed and ready to go and me trying to with stand the pain which was getting worse and worse!!

Getting checked over

We finally had everything together and in the car and headed off to the hospital. At this time we were part way through one of the wettest weeks that Southern California has seen in years! Traffic was bad, everything was water soaked and I was trying to remain calm and hoping we would get to the hospital on time. We arrived safe and sound and I eventually got checked in, then had to wait for what seemed like forever to be checked over by a doctor to see if this was it. By the time they got around to seeing me I was in a lot of pain and very impatient and grumpy!! I experienced a lot more pain than what I did with Mackenzie!! Anyway in between my cursing through the pain they told me it was time and I was about 4 cms dilated. We got moved into a birthing room and they attempted to get me settled in.

Getting weighed and measured.

Now while this was all happening John was able to stay with me, but had the challenge of keeping Mackenzie occupied. Even though John's Mom was in town Mackenzie was not comfortable with her so I didn't want to leave her with her and be worried that my girl was ok. She thought the rooms were fantastic though as there was so much stuff to touch!! After getting settled the wonderful doctor came in to offer me a epidural and I thought all my prayers were about to be answered. I got it but never felt the wonderful feeling that came over me with Mackenzie. I couldn't get settled and could still feel some pain. John decided that he would go get the bags from the car so I tried to relax and let some people know that it was time.


Because I couldn't get comfortable the nurse decided that she would check me and said, "You're ready to push do you want your husband here to see it?" Of course I did!!! In a slight panic I started to call John who of course didn't answer his phone! I tried his phone for what seemed like a hundred times and finally on turn 101 he picked up!! "You need to get here now or you're going to miss it!" I think I yelled down the phone. He appeared carrying Mackenzie and the bags and looking a little exhausted, then it was time to start pushing. Both John and Mackenzie were able to experience Maegen's arrival!


So at 12:36 pm Maegen Elaine Douglas arrived weighing 8 pounds, 3 ounces and measuring 20 inches long. It was nice to have Mackenzie there too as she was able to see Maegen from the start so she didn't just arrive in the room and there was a new baby! I was able to deliver Maegen with out any tears or anything so I was very happy with that. She had a little trouble at the start with feeding so eventually they had to give her some formula because they had to monitor her blood sugar levels. They gave it to her via a syringe so she would eventually start to breastfeed. She also had some problems maintaining her core temperature, but personally I think that was because they kept her naked and on a separate bed. It did have a lamp on it to keep her warm and eventually they were happy enough to allow us to move to our recovery room.

A proud, but exhausted Daddy!

Unfortunately she was a little slow with taking to the breast which was a little stressful as she dropped a lot of weight and they started talking about not letting us go home if her weight didn't come up. So on the second day and night I worked really hard at making sure she ate almost every two hours. At that stage I was getting very frustrated because all I wanted to do was go home and every different team had a different idea as what was best. They expect you to rest and bond with your child and get them eating, but it takes a few days for your milk to come in and then they're in and out at all hours of the day and night doing tests and taking your child and stuff. But after reassuring people I knew what I was doing and Maegen getting the all clear they let us leave Thursday afternoon!

All dressed up for the trip home.

She is now doing great when it comes to eating!! She also sleeps a lot better than what Mackenzie ever did. She like her sister prefers to sleep with her Mummy, but I'm trying my hardest to be a little tougher than what I was with Mackenzie! Mackenzie has made the transition a lot better than I thought she would. She likes to hug and kiss her sister and will occasionally help me out. We gave her a doll of her own that was a gift from Maegen so she takes care of her doll sometimes. She is also very attached to Daddy which has made the transition of having Maegen join our family a little easier. It's also been great to have John around to help as I couldn't have done this one on my own. He had a tough couple of days going to and from the hospital and taking care of Mackenzie. He often commented that everyone always asks about the Mum, but never the Dad. (smile) He has now caught up on his sleep and I think has made the adjustment to having two to look after. He was able to add his paternal leave onto his Holiday leave so he will be home for I believe another week which I am really happy about.

Ready to go home.

As for me I'm recovering fine. I've had a lot more aches and pains than what I did with Mackenzie which I think is just a reminder that I have to take things easy sometimes. I mainly start feeling sore when I over do it. It's been a huge adjustment going from one child to two, but I think I'm starting to settle into it. I have been a little more emotional this time around, but again I think that is just trying to adjust to two. I have had a few bouts of feeling sad because I feel I'm not always there for Mackenzie. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of resentment or jealously, I think it's just me being tough on myself. I think as a mother we always want to do the best job we can do for our kids, but at times we are way too hard on ourselves.

Bonding with her big sister

John's Mom goes home this coming Monday so from there we will adjust to being on our own again, getting Mackenzie back into school and getting back into the routine of John being back at work. With a new born New Years will be a quiet one for us. I only hope that I will actually be asleep by midnight!! Whatever it is that you do I hope you all have a wonderful and safe time and that 2011 brings you all nothing but good things!!
Talk to you next year!!! (Unless I get time to update some more before this day is over!!)

I love my two girls!!!


Maegen's first Christmas


Relaxing at home

No comments: